Thursday, March 29, 2007

Back - here AND in Glasgow

Uh huh.

The briefish gap in my postings were/are due to lots of niggling things. You know, the thises and thats of the world. And the planning of my trip to Scotland.

Yes, here I am. It is 10 at night here but I am listening the WQXR radio station 5:00 news. If you are of a certain age, I don't think you could ever imagine that, (a) you would be renting a flat in Scotland for about a month. and (b) most definitely NOT be listening to a NYC radio station on your (c) Laptop??? Oh, I forgot the 2 cell phone calls I got a few hours ago from the Son Unit.

A brief review: Maxjet Airways sent me an email saying they were having a limited time half-price round trip rate, but it would end on X day. Sensibly, I said to myself, Self - don't be tempted. . . .Another email - Hey, we are extending the sale until March 12th (buy the ticket but fly until Sept.). Self said: Why not? And Self booked for March 28th, returning May 3rd. It took about 90 seconds online.

Oh yes:
How to get from London to Glasgow? The first time I looked at the EasyJet fare it was $60, but it went up to $90 by the time I booked it.

Then: Well, what else is happening there? Oh, concerts, craft fairs, jewelry show, spring flowers, Glasgow Art Fair. Okay, that sounds like fun.

And where are you staying? Quick! Call SACO serviced apartments, is anything available from 03/29-04/30? Yes? YAY!!!

But, what will you do after you leave Glasgow on April 30? Two days? I spent hours exploring ideas on the web. London is outrageously expensive and I was just there. Wales? Fun, but the expression, you can't get there from here applies when going from North to Southish West. Scillys, the same. Hmm.

Brighton, or as they once had a t-shirt I regret not buying: BRightOn! A special at the Grand Hotel (www.devere.co.uk). Brighton is fun, the Grand is Grand, and the price was so much lower for 5 nights than 2 nights in London, that I will be leaving Glasgow on the 26th, taking the Sleeper train to London, navigating the Underground system from Euston Station to Victoria and taking the train to Brighton on the 27th. Rain or shine, the place is fine! (the sleeper isn't cheap anymore but fun.)

The last leg: Leaving Brighton, getting to Liverpool Station (more Underground Orienteering), taking the Stansted Express to the airport, staying overnight at the airport hotel (the same one that Maxjet gave me a coupon to use this morning to 'freshen up' at) and home on a morning flight on the 3rd.

The trip was amazingly non-eventful. Bag packed fine, no sitting to close. Cab was on time, traffic fine. Lounge boring but okay. Flights fine, airport to town bus was cheap and dropped me off across the square from the flat. Flat is fine.

So here I am. I took a little nap (three phone calls put the end to That), decided to shop for food rather than go to the concert tonight, bought myself a lovely bouquet of spring flowers for the bedroom, had a healthy dinner and am finishing a glass of rose.

Tomorrow the Flat manager (a woman I've had many conversations with in the past - all pleasant) is coming over, then I will go exploring and see how many ways I can have fun.

It is great to be back. Here and Here!

No comments: